IFTA, IRP, DOJ, UCR, IRS, CDL (Medical), RPO, Titles & ELD

New IFTA, IRP and/or UCR Account

New Account Information For IFTA IRP AND UCR

International Fuel Tax Agreement License

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is a fuel-licensing program, which companies may license vehicles powered by diesel fuel for travel in more than one jurisdiction. The procedures are similar to licensing under the International Registration Plan. For additional information, phone 406-444-2998 or visit IFTA online.

IFTA Forms
IFTA Guidelines
IFTA Website

International Registration Plan (IRP) Registration

PRISM logo and link

If you have a commercial trucking business based in Montana and you travel to at least one other state or Canadian province, you may be eligible to license under the International Registration Plan (IRP). The following is what you will need to get started:
New Account Information For IFTA IRP AND UCR

Please see our new PRISM Brochure. Our existing information regarding PRISM can be found by clicking on the PRISM picture to the right.

The Full Reciprocity Plan (FRP) made changes to the Plan to make the Plan more efficient, more equitable and more flexible for its member jurisdictions and registrants by granting full reciprocity for all apportioned vehicles in all member IRP jurisdictions and removing from the Plan any provisions related to estimated distance.

The Average Vehicle Distance chart is updated once a year effective for the first of April.

IRP is a vehicle registration program that allows a carrier to license commercial trucks in one state (base or home state) for travel in the 48 continental US states and eleven Canadian provinces. Each truck is issued one registration (cab card) and license plate. The registration lists each jurisdiction in which you will travel. For additional information, Monday thru Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., phone the Helena office at 406-444-2998.

IRP Forms
IRP Inc. Website
IRP Information for Motor Carriers
IRP Instruction Manual
IRP & the PRISM Program

MCS has a new email address for customers to submit documents to.

The documents you will not be able to submit to this email address are: New Account Documents, Renewals, and Signature Page. These must be mailed in as MCS needs the original signature on these documents.

With the change to the new ePART system, Carriers may process their IRP Renewals on-line, once they have an account. If companies are doing their renewals on-line, the 2290’s, Bill of Sale, Signature Sheet, and the notarized Power of Attorney can be uploaded in ePART via Web Processing by your company.

If not uploading your documents via ePART, MCS must have the original Signature Sheet, and original notarized Power of Attorney mailed; along with the 2290’s and Bill of Sale.

MT is now sharing IRP / Prorate information to all states.

How does this help you?

Enforcement personnel in other states can tell if you are prorated and current on your registration by running your plate number, VIN number, and/or USDOT number.
If an accident occurs, the company information is passed onto the Enforcement personnel.

What does this mean to you?

MCS will be requesting updated Contact Information on the company.
MCS will be requesting the phone number on the vehicle level for the owner of the vehicle, not who is responsible for the safety of the vehicle.

Montana Title and Registration Process

The MT Department of Justice (DOJ) is recommending that carriers interested in IRP, go through the IRP registration process with MDT before completing title work through DOJ. This will help to eliminate duplicated registrations. The DOJ asks that the carrier shows proof of registration (Temporary Authority and/or a Cab Card from IRP) to process title work.


See the following website for IRS information for Trucking Companies:

Trucking Tax Center
60 Day Rule Taxpayer Handout

UCR: Important Notice for all Interstate Carriers

If you operate a truck or bus in interstate or international commerce, there is a federal law that applies to your business. The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with Montana and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.

A "commercial motor vehicle" is defined as a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:

  1. has a gross vehicle weight over 10,000 pounds;
  2. is designed to transport more than 10 passengers (including the driver).

Registering for UCR visit UCR Registration. To avoid delays, it is highly recommended that you register on-line and follow the step-by-step instructions. Payments may be made on-line using a debit card, credit card, or Ach/eCheck.

To obtain the fee bracket for motor carriers, please visit UCR Registration Fees.

Related Information

Services offered by other Montana state or county departments:

Commercial Drivers Licenses

The Montana Department of Justice - Motor Vehicle Division is responsible for driver licensing and driver accident records. For more information, visit the CDL website or call 406-444-3244.

For the New Medical Certification Requirements for Montana Commercial Driver License Holders, visit the Medical Certificate website.

Registration Purposes Only

RPO stands for Registration Purposes Only and is for an out of state carrier who has been in the state longer than 72 hours on a Montana permit or is gainfully employed. Carriers can obtain the RPO through the county that they are currently working in. County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Offices

Out of state residents who are temporarily working in Montana or are using their vehicle for hire, compensation or profit, must display Montana plates and pay taxes for using Montana public roadways. Because they are not Montana residents, they cannot title their vehicles in Montana. To qualify for a registration purposes only permit, the out of state resident must provide a current out of state registration. A temporary registration is acceptable, as long as it's current. MCA 61-3-701

Intrastate Licensing and Registration

If you are only traveling in the state of Montana and wish to register your vehicle, complete and submit an Intrastate License Application.

Title & Registration Bureau

Montana Department of Justice
Motor Vehicle Division
Title and Registration Bureau
PO Box 201431
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59620-1431
406-444-3661 | Email