Montana Department of Transportation

Contracting & Consulting

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. How do I get a question answered about a specific project for the current bid letting?
You may ask a question regarding a specific project for the current bid letting by using our Project Question & Answer Forum.
Q. Do you have to be pre-qualified to bid on a job in Montana?
Prequalification is required only for some Specialty Types of work at this time. No other prequalification is required. Montana law requires all contractors to register with the Department of Labor & Industry. Register before executing a contract on Federal Aid projects. Register before submitting a bid on State-funded projects. Contact the Department of Labor & Industry at 406-444-7734 for more information.
Q. How does my company get added to your "Contractor's List"?
Your company will automatically be added by ordering plans, specifications or detailed drawings from our Contract Plans Bureau. If you view these items online, you may call our office at 406-444-6216 and request to be added to the Contractors List.
Q. What is my Contractor ID number?
Your four digit Contractor ID number (Vendor Number) is assigned to your company by Contract Plans. It is the number you need to use to submit a bid as a Prime Contractor. This number identifies you in our database. Your company will be assigned a number when you order plans. If you do not know what your number is, you may get it by contacting our office 406-444-6216.
Q. How do I find out what projects are being advertised for the current month?
The current month's advertisement will be listed in the Invitation for Bids. This is found on the Current Letting Information web page. Select "Invitation for Bids" from the list at the bottom of the page.
Q. Why do I get the old month's advertisement sometimes when I try to view the Invitation For Bids?
From time to time, an old month's advertisement will appear when you try to view the Invitation. To pull in the new information with the old invitation on your screen, refresh your view. The new information should appear. This should bring in the new advertisement for you.
Q. How do I find out if a project has an addendum?
The first addendum on a project will be posted on Wednesday, the week before the bid letting date. Any project addendum information will be listed on the Current Letting Information web page. We will also be posting complete addendum information including plan sheets, special provisions and quantities that have changed on our Bid Package site. Choose the Letting Month folder, the project name and then the addendum folder.
If a project has a second addendum, it will be posted on Monday the week of the bid letting.
Q. How do I find out if there are preliminary plans on a project?
Preliminary Plans are generally published one month prior to advertising. You are welcome to call our office to ask about preliminary plans on a project. There is also a Projects-Upcoming link on our Current Letting Information page. If you decide you would like a set of preliminary plans, you may call our office at 406-444-6216 or fax an order form to 406-444-7236 with the name of the project written in and "prelim" written next to it. All prelims are $10.00.
Q. Can I submit a hard copy bid bond instead of using the electronic bond verification process when I am supplying an electronic bid through Bid Express?
When submitting bids to the Montana Department of Transportation using online bidding through Bid Express, it is acceptable to use a hard copy Bid Bond. However, the Department accepts no responsibility for non-receipt or late receipt of the bond due to its delivery. The Department is also not responsible for erroneous misdirection of the hard copy Bid Bond upon receipt. The Department will do what it can to avoid misplaced Bid Bonds, but the use of a hard copy Bid Bond for an online bid is at the contractor’s sole risk.
Q. I have a non-project related questions that is not answered here, how can I get it answered?
For non-project specific quesition you may contact us online or via phone at 406-444-6211.

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)

Q. What are the prime contractors responsibilities, regarding the DBE Program and the payments they make to their subcontractors?
All payments made to any subcontractor on an MDT Federally funded project must be reported to the MDT DBE Program Manager. The information included should be, project number and designation, Prime's name, subs name, date of payment, amount of payment, and the line items being paid. These must be submitted monthly.
Q. If a DBE has been used on the Schedule of Participation, what are the steps that must be taken in order for the prime to make changes to their contract?
A request must be submitted in writing to the EPM, who will then submit it to the DBE Program Manager. All reasons for the change and the firm the prime plans to use in their place must be included in the request. For more detailed information, please see the DBE Program page or refer to the MDT DBE Program Guidelines.
Q. Who can receive DBE Supportive Services assistance?
Companies classified as highway-related that are certified in the Montana Department of Transportation Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE ) program. All businesses and/or individuals can attend any workshops sponsored by DBE Supportive Services. For more information, view the DBE Support Services page.
Q. What business services does DBE Supportive Services provide?
DBE Supportive Services provides direct assistance to DBE companies with guidance on industry-specific issues, development of business skills, funding for business development expenses, and information and resources to assist businesses. Sponsors industry-specific and business training workshops. Publishes a monthly DBE newsletter to inform businesses of opportunities, business-related articles, and MDT rules and procedures.
Q. What is the MCA DBE Liaison Committee?
This is a Montana Contractors' Association Committee that partners with MDT to improve relations between prime contractors and subcontractors; provide valuable input to the MDT DBE Program; build a successful DBE program; and discuss issues in a conducive environment to find solutions.


Q. Who should I contact regarding questions about ADA accessibility on federal-aid highway construction projects?
Please view our program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-9229.
Q. Who should I contact regarding questions about EEO compliance or Labor issues?
Please view our program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-6331.
Q. What is the best way to file an EEO or Labor Complaint?
Notify the project superintendent verbally and in writing about your concerns. There are complaint procedures, contact information and forms on the project bulletin board. If your complaint is about the behaviors of your superintendent notify your firm's EEO Officer. If you cannot access the information on the bulletin board notify and state inspector on the project or call 406-444-6331.
Q. How can I get EEO and/or Labor training?
There is an annual EEO Officer Assembly and individualized training opportunities provided. Interest parties need only contact the Civil Rights Bureau. There are also yearly Labor training and individualized training opportunities. If you are interested in either contact the Civil Rights Bureau at 406-444-6331.
Q. What if I don't like what someone is saying of how he/she is behaving?
Tell them politely but firmly you don't care for their talk and/or actions. Document the situation and your actions with date, time and witnesses. If the behaviors reoccur report the problem to your supervisor and/or EEO Officer.
Q. What if I don't agree with the hours I'm getting on the job?
Keep your own record by date of the number of hours you work in each classification. Do not sign your time card if you disagree with the hours or sign it with the word "objection" under your name. If the situation is not corrected, contact your firms' payroll person and/or contact the Civil Rights Bureau at 406-444-6331.


Q. Who should I contact regarding questions about Title VI?
Please view our program description. If you are unable to find the information you need feel free to contact 406-444-6331.
Q. What do I do if I think someone is treating me differently?
If you have believe you have been treated differently based on a protected status, document what has occurred (Who, what, where, when, why, how). Remember to document specifics of any situation. You may submit a written complaint with specific allegations to the concerned agency, local or state, or to the Civil Rights Bureau in Helena 406-444-6331. A complaint must be filed not later than 180 days after the date of knowledge of the alleged discrimination.
Q. How do I get Title VI training?
Title VI training is available by contacting 406-444-6331.
Q. If a non-English speaking person must be spoken with regarding a federal aid project site, am I required to do anything special to communicate with them?
This is covered by the Limited English Proficiency component of Title VI. Executive Order 13166 requires meaningful access to all federal financially assisted programs and activities by persons with limited English proficiency (LEP). State "English-only" laws do not relieve an entity that receives federal funding from its responsibilities under federal anti-discrimination laws. Various options are available for providers, including a list of interpreters. Limited English Proficiency Interpreters List
Q. Is there specific Title VI language that is required in contracts for federal aid projects?
Yes. Language required in contracts can be found in the Title VI Party.

Federal Aid CTEP and Maintenance

Q. As a local government administrator of a federal aid CTEP project, are there civil rights requirements I must follow?
Yes. These requirements are found in the CTEP Civil Rights Agenda
Q. As a contractor on a federal aid maintenance project, are there civil rights requirements I must follow?
The requirements you need to follow can be found in the Civil Rights Manual.