Quartz Flats Rest Area
The Montana Department of Transportation is updating the Quartz Flats Rest Areas on Interstate 90 between Superior and Alberton starting in Spring 2021. Work will take place at both the eastbound and westbound rest areas.
The Quartz Flats Rest Area serves travelers year-round and is the gateway to the U.S. Forest Service Quartz Flat campground during the summer. The rest area was originally built in 1967 and rehabilitated in 1989. The facilities are showing signs of wear and tear and are designed for lower traffic volumes. The improvements will provide new facilities, reduce maintenance costs, and prevent wear and tear.
Work will include:
- Reconstructing rest area buildings
- Increasing wastewater system capacity
- Improving water treatment systems
- Reconstructing parking lot to increase capacity
New facilities will provide:
- Larger parking areas to accommodate increased truck traffic.
- New family-style or single-occupancy restrooms with anti-microbial surfaces to help maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Improved water supply and wastewater systems to increase capacity and reduce waste.
- Highly durable, anti-vandalism materials to increase the lifespan of the new restrooms and reduce maintenance.
- Improved lighting, safety features, and heating in common areas.
Future Rest Area Design
What to expect during construction
- The rest area will be closed for construction beginning in mid-March 2021 and is anticipated to reopen in Spring 2022.
- The US Forest Service campgrounds will remain open during construction.
- The next closest public restrooms on I 90 are located 14 miles to the east (about 10 minutes) and 53 miles to the west (about 40 minutes). Truck/travel centers can also be found in the town of Superior about 10 miles to the west.
For the safety of the public and construction workers, MDT encourages motorists to plan ahead, allow extra travel time, slow down and use caution through work zones on Interstate 90. Current construction information and road conditions can be found on the MDT Travel Info App at https://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/travinfomobile/.
Anticipated Project Schedule
|Final Plan Report completed:||Summer 2020|
|Construction plans developed||Fall/Winter 2020|
|Construction plans finalized||Spring 2021|
|Construction begins||Spring 2021|
|Construction completed||Spring 2022|
Public involvement is important to MDT and the success of the project. The community will be notiﬁed about public involvement opportunities through the project website, local media, mailings, social media and other communication channels throughout the project development process. Questions and comments can be directed to Brandon Coates via email Brandon@rbci.net or by phone at (406) 333-7215..