The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) is designing intersection improvements along US 12 in southeast Helen at:
- Tricia Street/Centennial Drive (Frontage Roads)
- Shephard Way
- Elaine Street
- Lola Street
- Nicole Street
The need for the project is due to the high frequency of crashes resulting from vehicles turning left from the Lola Street onto the westbound lanes of US 12. The goals of the project are to:
- Improve safety for all users
- Reduce congestion
- Minimize impacts to adjacent properties
After careful consideration of safety and operational needs, and input from the public and area stakeholders in March 2019 and September 2020, the project team has identified the following improvements as the most appropriate options for the corridor:
- Add a new traffic signal on US12 at Nicole Street/Shephard Way
- Construct a roundabout at the Tricia Street/Lola Street intersection
- Reduce conflicts by closing access points to US 12 at Shephard Way, Elaine Street, Lola Street, and between Colleen and Florence Streets
Design will continue through fall 2023. The project team is planning to have meetings with the public, area property owners and businesses in the fall of 2022 to present the design and answer questions. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please reach out to the project team. Construction is tentatively scheduled for spring 2024, pending funding.
Click on the Project Design exhibit below to learn more.
Click to view a larger image.