The Montana Department of Transportation is improving traffic operations and safety for the Lincoln Road corridor from North Montana Avenue through the Interstate 15 Lincoln Road interchange. The project is located approximately six miles north of Helena.
Construction began on the project in April 2022. It is anticipated that work will be substantially complete by fall 2022, with crews returning in 2023 to chip seal and add final pavement markings.
Lincoln Road – North Montana Avenue Intersection
- A single-lane roundabout with a westbound right-turn bypass lane from Lincoln Road onto North Montana Avenue.
The bypass lane will address the high amount of westbound to northbound right-turn movements during the evening rush hour.
Lincoln Road – I 15 Southbound On-Ramp
- An additional lane on to the I 15 southbound on-ramp lane.
- A westbound left-turn from Lincoln road onto the I 15 southbound on-ramp.
- An eastbound right-turn bypass lane from Lincoln Road onto the southbound I 15 ramp.
The right-turn bypass lane will reduce the stacking of traffic on Lincoln Road during morning rush hour.
Lincoln Road – I 15 Northbound Off-Ramp
- A single-lane roundabout with a westbound right-turn bypass lane.
The bypass lane will increase the capacity of the northbound off-ramp to reduce stacking on I 15 during the evening rush hour.
What to expect during construction
- An 11-foot width restriction is in place on Lincoln Road and the I 15 Lincoln Road interchange (Exit 200) ramps.
- Speed limits are reduced.
- Flaggers will direct motorists through the work zone.
- Expect up to 15-minute delays at times through the work zone.
- Be prepared for traffic signals and speed limits to change at times.
- Access to Jim Darcy Elementary School and local businesses will be maintained.