The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) is improving Interstate 90 near St. Regis. The project begins about one mile east of Ward Creek Road (Exit 26) and ends approximately 1 ½ miles east of the St. Regis Interchange (Exit 33). MDT will rejuvenate approximately seven miles of concrete pavement, repair shoulders, and resurface the St. Regis Interchange ramps (Exit 33) and the Two Mile Road Interchange ramps (Exit 30). Construction began in April 2021 and is anticipated to be completed in fall 2022.
This section of I90 was constructed in the late 1970’s. Over the years, the concrete panels have shifted and settled causing small gaps in the surface. MDT will rehabilitate the roadway using a construction process called a “Dowel Bar Retrofit”. This process will improve roadway conditions by providing a smoother driving surface and extending the life of the pavement 10-15 years.
Dowel Bar Retrofit Process
The dowel bar retrofit process ties the concrete roadway panels together to handle heavy loads better and helps prevent further shifting or cracking of the concrete. Crews will cut grooves into the concrete surface between two panels, insert steel dowel bars, and reseal the grooves with new concrete. The dowel bars add strength and durability to the panels. Once the dowel bar work is completed, crews will grind down the concrete surface (mill) and smooth it out.
What to expect during construction
For the safety of the public and construction workers, MDT encourages motorists to plan ahead, allow extra travel time, slow down and use caution through work zones on Interstate 90. Current construction information and road conditions can be found on the MDT Travel Info App at https://www.511mt.net.
- Traﬃc will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Both east and westbound traﬃc will travel on the same side of I90.
- Crossover traﬃc patterns will be in place during construction.
- Speed limits will be reduced.
- Wide loads will be staged and piloted, Monday – Thursday.
The Two Mile Road Interchange Ramp (Exit 30) will be temporarily closed twice to allow crews to repave the interchange on and off-ramps. Traffic will be detoured to the next closest exit.
During work on the westbound on and off-ramps:
- The eastbound on and off-ramps will remain open to traffic.
- Westbound traffic will detour to the Drexel Interchange (Exit 25), return to I90 traveling eastbound, and exit at the Two Mile Interchange (about 9 miles).
During work on the eastbound on and off-ramps:
- The westbound on and off-ramps will remain open to traffic.
- Eastbound traffic will detour to the St. Regis Interchange (Exit 33), return to I90 traveling westbound, and exit at the Two Mile Interchange (about 7 miles).
Stay Informed During Construction
MDT will notify the public about traffic impacts and work activities through the project website, local media, mailings, social media, and email and text notifications during construction. Questions and comments can be directed to Brandon Coates