Rarus Silverbow Creek Structure Improvements
The Rarus Silver Bow Creek Structures project (near City Center exit) is continuing to replace and upgrade four bridges on Interstate 15/90 west of Butte. The final bridge replacement is completed. Improvements were able to widen the bridges and shoulders to improve safety for all travelers.
The project began in April of 2018 and will be complete in late 2020. Concrete work on the bridge finished near the end of January 2020 with final activities like seeding, striping, and sign placement in the 2020 construction season.
Impacts to the Public
While construction is active, travelers can expect reduced speeds, single lane traffic, and should plan for extra travel time in the area. Closures will be announced as soon as possible, and the public should remain aware of routes and announced closures.
Bridges on this project were updated by:
- New foundations and columns
- New bridge decks (surface);
- Placing concrete barriers; and
- Placing steel girders and bolting (construction).
Roadway construction efforts will include:
- Surfacing activities;
- Paving near City Center Exit; and
- Continued paving efforts throughout Spring/Summer 2020.
Concrete, paving and surfacing efforts take time to set and cure, so the public may see open areas of roadway remain closed to traffic until it’s safe to drive on them.
Other construction activities taking place could include:
- Pavement (i.e., traffic and lane) marking/painting;
- Continued restricted speed limits of 35 mph across existing bridges;
- Additional traffic control devices (e.g., markers, signs, signals) to increase nighttime visibility of devices; and
- Motorists should expect increased Montana Highway Patrol enforcement presence to ensure the safety of the travelling public.
For the most up-to-date travel information be sure to check: MDT Travel Conditions (look for I-15 - Mile Marker 123 to 126.5).
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
We want to hear from you! with any questions or thoughts you may have!