The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) is improving the safety and longevity of Interstate 90 by rehabilitating five bridges between Bozeman and Livingston. These bridges are located within a 20-mile section of the interstate beginning approximately 17 miles west of Livingston and ending two miles east of Livingston.
Work on the bridges will include repairing and resurfacing five bridge decks (driving surface), upgrading guardrails and improving bridge drainage. Construction is anticipated to begin in spring 2022 and be completed in the fall.
Project Area Map
The bridge locations include:
- Exit 316 over Trail Creek Road/ Chestnut Road about 17 miles west of Livingston (eastbound and westbound bridges).
- The US 89 – City Center Interchange (Exit 333) on the south end of Livingston (eastbound and westbound bridges).
- Swingley Road Bridge on the northeast side of Livingston (eastbound bridge only).
Why is MDT working on the bridges?
The bridges were constructed in the early 1960’s and require routine maintenance and upkeep. While still safe to drive on, the bridge decks have aged to the point that they need to be repaired and resurfaced.
Rehabilitated bridges and additional safety improvements will provide a smooth driving surface and ensure the continued safe operation of the bridges for many years. Rehabilitating bridge decks is a cost-effective value to taxpayers and minimizes traffic impacts during construction when compared to completely replacing the bridge decks.
What to expect during construction
For the safety of the public and workers, MDT encourages motorists to plan ahead, allow extra travel time, slow down and use caution through the work zone.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane over the bridges to allow crews to safely and efficiently work on the bridges while keeping traffic moving.
- Speed limits will be reduced through each bridge work zone.
- Wide loads will be restricted.
- Work will take place during daylight hours, typically 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
MDT will notify the public about traffic impacts and work activities through the project website, local media, mailings, social media and other communication channels. To sign up for construction email updates on this project, text LIVINGSTON to 42828.
Current construction information, width restrictions, and road conditions throughout Montana can be found at www.511mt.net.