Montana's seat belt usage has grown steadily over the past few years. Restraint use on most of Montana's reservations, however, is still very low. Usage in pickup trucks is lower than other passenger vehicles and the usage rate among occupants from age 15 to 25 is lower than any other age group.
- Reduce the five-year average number of unrestrained vehicle occupant fatalities from 126 in 2010 to 98 by 2015.
- Reduce the five-year average number of unrestrained vehicle occupant fatalities and incapacitating injuries from 633 in 2010 to 490 by 2015.
- Increase the annual observed rate of seat belt use of outboard, front seat vehicle occupants from 78.9% in 2010 to 89.3% by 2015.
- 61-9-409 Seatbelts required
- 61-13-103 Seatbelt use required exceptions
- 61-9-421 Certain vehicles exempt
- 61-13-105 Education program
- 61-9-420 Child safety restraint systems
- OPI Driver's Education
- Selective Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP)
- Montana Child Safety Seat Inspection Stations
- Montana Motor Carriers Association Seat Belt Program
- Safe On All Roads (SOAR)
- Booster Seats - The Missing Link (video)
- High Cost of Unbuckled Montanans | Press Release
- Traffic Safety Problem Identification
- Occupant Protection Assessment
- Occupant Protection for Child Assessment
- Graduated Driver Licensing Brochure
- Transport Your Child Safely
- Teen Buckle Up Brochure
- Buckle-up Bug's Activity Book
- To request printed copies of the activity book, please
- and indicate the desired quantity.
Traffic Safety Planner
State Highway Traffic Safety Section