About the Commission
The Transportation Commission is a quasi-judicial board consisting of five members, each of whom is appointed by the Governor for a four-year term
The Commission's principle duties are:
- selection/prioritization of projects for construction, maintenance and so forth.
- awarding of monthly contracts.
- allocation of Federal-aid highway funds.
- designation of highways by system.
- designation of special speed zones and maximum speeds on bridges and overpasses.
- designation of access control highways or facilities.
- resolution of outdoor advertising appeals.
- abandonment of highway right of way.
Transportation Commission meetings are held on a regular basis. They start at 8:30 a.m. Meetings in Helena are in the MDT Commission Room at 2701 Prospect Avenue. Locations for district meetings will be announced.
If you would like to attend a meeting or place an item on the agenda, please contact Lori Ryan at 406-444-7200 or .
Proposed highway projects are discussed at commission meetings. Your input on the proposed highway projects is important to us and encouraged! Please send comments to .
Once the Transportation Commission approves a project and FHWA concurs, it will be included in the current Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) as an amendment.