Purpose and Goals
Provide guidance and technical support to MDT Engineering, Construction and Maintenance to incorporate stormwater pollution prevention and water resource protection considerations into MDT projects and maintenance activities.
- Prevent adverse impacts to water quality and minimize unavoidable impacts by developing, implementing, and enforcing practices and procedures to reduce erosion, sedimentation, and pollution in highway runoff.
- Protect areas that provide water quality benefits (e.g., wetlands, aquatic ecosystems, riparian areas, wellhead sites, etc.), and protect areas that are susceptible to erosion (e.g., unstable soils, landslide areas, fragile stream banks).
- Promote the use of vegetative and other feasible methods to control erosion, reduce pollutant loadings, and prevent or minimize the amount of sediment reaching surface waters.
- Provide assistance, guidance and training on erosion and sediment control, water pollution prevention, and stormwater management.
- Conduct construction project reviews to assist project managers and provide guidance for compliance with stormwater regulations and permit conditions.
- Develop, implement and maintain a stormwater management program for compliance with the Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit program