Montana Department of Transportation

MDT Meetings and Events

Bozeman - Signing Updates Proposed In Gallatin County

August 28, 2017


Lori Ryan, Public
Information Officer, (406) 444-6821,

Montana Department
of Transportation Proposes Safety Enhancement Project to Update
Signing at Locations in Gallatin County

BOZEMAN — The Montana
Department of Transportation (MDT) would like to notify the public
and seek comments on a proposal to update signing at the following

Site 1 — Gallatin Canyon (National Highway Route 50/U.S.
Highway 191): Install new turnout signing for the turnout areas
located from approximately reference post (RP) 32.5 to RP 40.5 and
from RP 50.0 to RP 63.3. 
Site 2 — North of Bozeman (Secondary
Highway 411): At RP 1.5, install two stop signs and two “stop ahead”
signs on Sypes Canyon Road, and on the west side of the roadway for
northbound traffic an additional “intersection ahead” sign with a
supplemental street name plaque mounted below. Install
retroreflective strips to the support posts of the stop signs. 
3 — North of Bozeman (Secondary Highway 411): From RP 9.5 to RP 10.1,
install “advanced curve” warning signs on curve(s) within the project
Site 4 — South of Willow Creek (Secondary Highway 287): From
RP 6.8 to RP 7.2, install “winding road” signs at beginning of
pavement and S-curve. 

The purpose of the project is to address
roadway departure crashes.

Construction is tentatively planned for
2019 depending on completion of design and availability of funds. 

For more information, please contact Butte District Administrator
Jeff Ebert at (406) 494-9625 or Project Design Engineer Michael S.
Grover at (406) 444 4188. Members of the public may submit written
comments to the Montana Department of Transportation Butte office at
P.O. Box 3068, Butte, MT  59702-3068, or online at:

Please note that your comments
are for project UPN 9104000. Alternative accessible formats of this
information will be provided upon request by contacting the Office of
Civil Rights, P.O. Box 201001, Helena, MT 59620; (406) 444-9229; fax
(406) 444-7243, or e-mail to Those using a TTY may
call (800) 335-7592 or through the Montana Relay Service at 711.