MDT's mission is to serve the public by providing a transportation system and services that
emphasize quality, safety, cost effectiveness, economic vitality and sensitivity to the environment.
The Department of Transportation is primarily responsible for the following duties:
- Planning and Design,
- Contract Administration,
- Materials design and testing,
- Property acquisition,
- Fiscal programming and cost accounting,
- Motor Fuel Collection and Enforcement
- Enforcement of vehicle weight and dimension laws and the Outdoor Advertising Control Act,
- Management of the state motor pool,
- Highway, bridge and rest area maintenance,
- Public Transportation and Rail Programs and Planning
- General aviation airport planning and
- Highway Traffic Safety.
Vision Statement - Serving you with pride