Some signs that are visible from controlled highways are exempt from the Outdoor Advertising Control Program. They include:
- Directional and other official traffic signs
- Signs advertising the sale or lease of property on which they are located
- Signs advertising the products and activities conducted on the property on which they are located. These signs are referred to as "on premise" signs.
- Signs promoting political candidates or issues shall be placed on private property only and cannot be placed without the permission of the property owner. Political signs must be removed within 14 days following the applicable election.
- LOGO and TODS signs authorized under the Motorist Information Sign Act.