Montana Department of Transportation

Malcolm “Mack” Long, Director


View the Governor’s Coronavirus Task Force site for more information.

MDT News


Helena - With the campaign season underway, the Montana Department of
Transportation (MDT) would like to remind all political candidates
and committees of the State of Montana restrictions on political sign
placement on state highways, including areas where the highway runs
through an urban area. Cities and counties may have separate
regulations on political sign placement along city or county roads. 
Under state regulations, signs promoting political candidates or
issues may only be placed on private property and cannot be placed
without the permission of the property owner.	Political candidates
and committees are responsible to ensure all signs are in compliance
with Montana Administrative Rules for restriction on height, lighting
etc. under Mont. Admin. R.  18.6.231 and 18.6.246.

Political signs
must not be placed or allowed in any portion of public right-of-way
or on public property. Signs placed on highway fences, utility poles,
or otherwise on state right-of-way or which pose a traffic hazard are
not allowed and will be removed by MDT.  

Political signs on private
property along state highways must be removed within 14 days
following the applicable election.  MDT will notify the landowner of
illegal signs which are not removed within 14 days and will remove
the signs 24 hours after notification to the landowner. MDT will
temporarily store removed political signs for five working days
before their destruction. The sign owner may retrieve the signs
during this period. 

For additional information, please contact
MDTs Outdoor Advertising Control program  at MDT Outdoor Advertising
in Montana ( .  

Alternative accessible formats of this
document will be provided on request. Persons who need an alternative
format should contact the Office of Civil Rights, Department of
Transportation, 2701 Prospect Avenue, PO Box 201001, Helena, MT
59620. Telephone 406-444-5416 or Montana Relay Service at 711.