Frontage Road Safety Improvements – Belgrade to Bozeman
The Montana Department of Transportation is making safety improvements to Frontage Road (Highway 205) between Belgrade and Bozeman. The project begins two miles east of the Bozeman Airport and continues approximately two miles. The project ends two miles west of Nelson Road.
Safety is MDT’s first priority. Turn lanes into Mountain View Subdivision will provide safer access for residents and motorists. Wider shoulders, flattened slopes along the sides of the road, and rumble strips will help reduce rollover crashes.
- Widening the travel lanes to 12 feet.
- Adding 8-foot shoulders.
- Adding dedicated turn lanes from both directions into Mountain View Subdivision.
- Flattening the steep slopes (shoulders) on the side of the road.
- Adding center line and shoulder rumble strips.
- Replacing two box culverts at Baxter Creek.
Construction on the Frontage Road improvements is anticipated to begin in March (depending on weather) and be completed by fall 2019.
- One lane in each direction is anticipated to remain open during construction.
- At times, traffic will be temporarily reduced to one lane and controlled with a traffic signal or flaggers.
- Motorists should expect delays (approx. 10–15 minutes).
- Speed limit will be reduced 35 MPH.
- Work will take place during daylight hours, typically 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Construction will be noisy.